I went into it feeling a little off, my stomach wasn't really settled, something just felt funny.
I started out smart, keeping with the 4:00 pace group for a strong and steady race, not going out too fast like I usually do. Almost immediately my left knee was bothering me. I tried to put it out of my mind, sometimes I imagine an ache just because I'm worried about hurting myself.
At mile 8 I couldn't take it anymore, when I got to the next aid station I had to have my knee wrapped up. I watched the 4:00 group pass me. I hobbled along, cringing and clenching my fists. At mile 17 the 4:15 group passed me. Hobbling, hurting, disappointed. At mile 20 the 4:30 group passed me. I finished just under 4:45. What a bummer.
I'm not sure what it was, I'm guessing the banking of the road was just too much strain. Right now I'm feeling lucky I didn't get into New York, I'll get some time off to properly rest my knee and I'll have a change of sport....
So check out my sweet new ride!

I forgot to take photos before/after the race, but here's an idea of how beautiful it was in Monterey this weekend.
2 comments:
eeek! sorry I couldn't be there to cheer you on or try to convince you to bail when things started hurting. I'm glad you are switching to cycling :)
..don't forget the betwixt!
love,
co
I'm proud of you for finishing in 4:45! You looked so strong. Excited about your future ride and I can't wait to see the pictures.
Post a Comment